CENTRE FOR PUBLIC HEALTH RESEARCH (CPHR) NAIROBI
Before a formal transfer to KEMRI, CPHR operated by the name of Medical Research Centre (MRC), which was managed by the Royal Tropical Institute of Amsterdam (KIT) until 1987. In 1995, KEMRI undertook a re-alignment exercise of its research mandates / Programmes and renamed its centers to reflect the new corporate identity. In this regard, MRC remained the official name of the center until 1997 when all tittles of centers were changed to start with CENTRE and MRC renamed the “Centre for Public Health Research”. READMORE
Our mission is to improve human health and quality of life through research, capacity building, innovation and service delivery
Our vision is to be a leading centre of excellence in research for human health.
- To conduct research aimed at providing solutions for reduction of diseases of public health importance
- To undertake innovations in products formulation and provision of specialized service delivery for promotion of public health
- To strengthen capacity in public health research through training, supervision and mentorship
- To translate and disseminate health research findings for evidence-based policy formulation and implementation for improved public health.
- To provide leadership in public health research in Kenya and beyond
|YEAR||PROJECT TITLES||OUT PUTS / OUTCOMES|
|1983||Kakamega ORS and social marketing||Charcoal based water filter (Bone-char)|
|1985||Development of non-fluoride tooth paste for children||Non fluoride toothpaste; Changed utilization of fluoride toothpaste by children; Fluorosis in children reduced|
|1987||Effectiveness of Bone-char in water de-fluoridation||Small scale de- fluoridation of water treatment plants;
Reduction of fluoride levels in water and prevalence of fluorosis
Public Health Nutrition and Maternal and Child Health
Nutrition studies and survey:
- Conduct of national nutrition surveys and studies on Maternal Child Health and Public Nutrition.
- Undertake clinical trials and studies on innovative nutritional preparations/formulations to address disease conditions
- Conduct studies on nutrition and lifestyle diseases including but not limited to cardiovascular health research, diabetes and cancer.
Wellness promotion: Provision of wellness promotion services at work site for different institutions in the country