CENTER FOR GLOBAL HEALTH RESEARCH (CGHR)-KISUMU
Centre for Virus Research (CVR) is the oldest of the centers in KEMRI. This center has eight laboratories/Units located within KEMRI Headquarters and KEMRI research campuses within Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH) compound.
Key facilities include:
- Arbovirus & Viral Hemorrhagic Fevers
- HIV and AIDS
- HIV (Annex site)
- Viral Hepatitis
- Expanded Programme on Immunization (EPI) Diseases (Polio & Measles Eradication) READMORE
To improve human health and quality of life through virology research, surveillance, outbreak investigations and response and inform policy, service delivery and capacity building.
To be a leading Centre of excellence in virology research, surveillance, response to viral disease outbreaks, service delivery and capacity building.
- Acute arboviruses & hemorrhagic fevers: epidemiology, surveillance, outbreak investigations and control.
- Influenza and other Influenza and other Acute Respiratory Infections (ARI), epidemiology, diagnosis, etiology, management, outbreak investigations and control.
- Viral diarrhea: studies on etiology, epidemiology, management and control; vaccine trials and molecular characterization. READMORE.
The center is responsible for the following key functions;
- Coordination of research, training and service delivery activities, project implementation and management and laboratory processes.
- Conduct research, train and provide service on arbovirus & haemorrhagic fever diseases: epidemiology, surveillance, provide diagnostic service, outbreak investigations and disease control.
- Conduct research, build capacity and support diagnostic service and outbreak response for Influenza and other Acute Respiratory Infections (ARI) to cover epidemiology, virus evolution drug resistance, disease management and control.