ABOUT DNA LAB
KEMRI Human DNA Identification Laboratory also known as HID laboratory is a leading laboratory in the provision of DNA testing services in the region. We offer DNA Testing services in the area of paternity testing and family relationship testing. Our facility meets international standards hence ensuring quality service. The laboratory serves private clients as well as those referred from courts. We aim at making the services accessible and affordable to all.
KEMRI being primarily a research institute, the laboratory is keen on initiating and collaborating in the area of DNA forensics. We also offer training on DNA testing as way of contributing towards capacity building both locally and regionally.
BIODATA Eva Aluvaala –Nambati email@example.com Eva is a Research officer at the Centre for Biotechnology Research and development and In charge of the HID laboratory in KEMRI.
She played pivotal roles in the establishment of the HID Laboratory in KEMRI.
She has 8 years of experience in the area of DNA forensics.
She is keen on enhancing the National capacity in DNA Forensics, an area that continues to lag behind.
She is passionate about building capacity on younger scientists in the field.
Eva holds a BSc Biochemistry degree, MSc Molecular Biology and is currently pursuing a PhD in Biotechnology.
WHY CHOOSE US
The laboratory team is highly dedicated and committed to ensure that you receive quality DNA testing services.
We are reliable and affordable
Our services are professional and confidentiality is maintained at all times.
We offer the quickest turnaround time, 5 working days or less.
The tests are conducted by a team of highly trained scientists and technicians
We assure you of reliable and accurate results.
- We offer DNA testing services for both legal and personal knowledge. Legal DNA Test. A legal DNA test is required as evidence in a court. We follow a strict chain of custody documentation process to ensure that the results are legally defensible. To ensure integrity of results;
- The sample is collected by an impartial third party in the laboratory
- The individuals tested are positively identified by providing a government issued ID
- Samples are carefully tracked and matched to each test participant throughout the entire DNA testing process.
When coming for sample collection you will be expected to complete a client identification and consent form (for minors the consent is signed by the legal guardian)
Personal Knowledge DNA Test; If a DNA test is not required for legal reasons and is for personal knowledge, the process is less stringent. You can opt for self-collection or you can come to our laboratory and have the sample collected for you. Get in touch with us for further
Research; We carry out research in the area of DNA forensics. We are actively involved in both local and international research collaborations
Training: We offer research facility for postgraduate students as well as structured training modules in the area of Human DNA testing.
DNA TESTING MENU
- To safeguard the rightful heirs and ensure that they will inherit your estate through the exclusion of false claims on your inheritance.
- To avoid expensive exhumations if your DNA profile may be required in the future.
- As a precaution for any possible future identification/verification requirements e.g. in cases of kidnapping, accidental death, act of Terrorism etc.
Forensic DNA testing.
This can be useful in;
- Linking unsolved crimes
- Finding a suspect in criminal situations such as rape and incest
- Identification victims of mass fatality disaster such as terror attacks, fire and natural disasters.
- Identification of missing persons for example individuals in mortuaries who cannot be identified by physical means.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQS)
What do I need to do to get a paternity test?
Call us on+254(0)722205901, +254(020)2722541 we shall evaluate your situation and recommend the best DNA testing service. Visit us at our laboratory KEMRI HQ Mbagathi, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We are available Monday to Friday 8:30am-4:00pm you do not need to book an appointment to come to our laboratory.
What samples do you use for DNA testing?
We regularly use saliva samples but we can also conduct the DNA test using a range of tissues which includes; blood, nails, bones, teeth hair etc.
Can a paternity test be performed without the mother?
Yes. If the mother’s participation is not possible, a motherless paternity test and no additional charge will be performed. A motherless test requires more extensive analysis to produce conclusive results, but the results are just as accurate as those of a standard paternity test. We however encourage mothers to participate in paternity testing for several reasons:
- Some courts require the mother to participate in a paternity test.
- The mother’s participation aids in the analysis of unexpected results. Her participation is especially helpful in the rare cases when a mutation (a random change in the DNA) has affected the results.
Can a paternity test be performed if the alleged father is missing or deceased?
Several testing options are available in situations where the alleged father is missing or deceased:
- The first option that should be considered is viability testing on a sample taken from the deceased, such as stored blood or a tissue sample. (This type of sample usually comes from a pathologist or medical examiner’s office.) If usable DNA is found in the sample, we can conduct a paternity test using the alleged father’s sample.
- If no biological samples from the alleged father are available, grand parentage testing is the next option to consider. Both biological parents of the alleged father (the paternal grandparents) are required to participate in a grandparentage test. Results of this test prove only the relationship of the child to the grandparents.
- If one or both paternal grandparents are unavailable for testing, other family relationship tests siblingship tests may be performed to indirectly determine a child’s paternity.
Where are you located?
We are located at KEMRI HQ Mbagathi, the laboratory facility is housed at the production department